Just want to issue a “disclaimer” on this one. I’m hoping that someone will help me figure out what I did wrong… or is the recipe wrong?
Today marked the 3rd time I made these breakfast bars… the first 2 times, after following the recipe exactly as stated, ended up in the trash.
The recipe I made today are fantastic! However, I used regular flour instead of the gluten free baking mix (and eliminated the xanthan gum).
Here’s the original recipe:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest OR 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 3/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum OR 2 teaspoon Agar Agar OR 1 ½ teaspoon Guar Gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8”x 8” square pan with butter.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest, egg and vanilla and beat for one minute.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. The batter will be thick.
5. Gently fold in the blueberries. Pour into the greased square pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by placing 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line. Let stand for five minutes and stir.
Again…. the recipe I made today used all-purpose flour and no xanthan gum.
Do you use gluten free recipes? Can you check the recipe and see if something looks “out of whack”. Please let me here from you.